Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fuel for Running

I feel like I am running a science experiment. The lab is my kitchen, and I am the subject of the study. It's scary.

As I wish to make it through a run, or the day for that matter, without flopping on my face out of sheer exhaustion, I keep tinkering with my food choices to see what works best.

As sensitive as I am to spikes in blood sugar, I have to watch my sugar/carb intake carefully. But I think I have a winner!!

Remember Ants on a Log? It was a favorite childhood snack which I have pulled out, dusted off, and found to be ridiculously appealing lately! The few raisins don't seem to yank my blood sugar around, and their sweetness added to the crunch of the celery and creaminess of the natural peanut butter is quite the combination.

Will I eat this right before a run? No. Have you thrown up peanut butter lately? I did about twenty years ago, and it was traumatic enough to warn me away from ever eating it again before a tough workout.

Do you have a favorite pre- or post-workout snack? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

No comments:

Post a Comment